Saturday, April 10, 2010

4/10/2010 - Leroy Pullin

One hit wonders are cool sometimes. Take the case of Leroy Pullins. He got into the music business at the age of 14 in a rock band in the 50's. Well, that didn't take off so he moved to Nashville and was signed to sing silly songs because his voice sounded an awful lot alike Roger Miller. So in 1966, he put out an album with the song, "I'm A Nut" which reached #18 on the country charts. The label tried a second album which flopped, so Leroy Pullins retired from music and became a fireman in his hometown. But his song, I'm a Nut, continues on, getting mistaken for Roger Miller from time to time. In fact, when I first found the song, it was credited to Roger Miller.
But Leroy Pullins will always have the legacy of singing the song, "I'm A Nut", which has been rereleased twice more, once in 1984 shortly after his death (an unintentional posthumous release) and again on a compilation in 2007. Here's "I'm A Nut" by Roger Miller Leroy Pullins:



lyrics
Beedle-dee-bah, beedle-dee-bah, beedle-dee-ree-pa-dom...

[Chorus]
I'm a nut, I'm a nut
My live don't ever get in a rut, whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop
The head on my shoulders is sorta loose
And I ain't got the sense God gave a goose
Lord, I ain't crazy, but ...I'm a nut

Is is wetter under water, if you're there when it rains?
Is it shorter to New York, than it is by a plane?
Between myself and I, I wonder who's the dumber
Is it hotter down south, than it is in the summer?

[Chorus]

I drove my Cadillac to Vegas to satisfy my lust
Wheelin', dealin', left ol' Vegas on a Greyhound bus
I shouldn't have set the woods on fire while I was there
But remember only forest fires prevent bears

[Chorus]

The poverty war will be over, when I begin to fight
If it took a dime to go 'round the world
I couldn't get out of sight
I don't mind to take the girls out
If they don't mind to go Dutch
Makes me feel like a million dollars
And I bet I ain't worth half that much

[Chorus]

Oh, crazy man! I'm a nut!
Oh, Lordy, Lordy Lordy, Lordy
I'm crazy, I'm a nut!

Followers

Search This Blog

  ©Template by Dicas Blogger.