Wednesday, February 17, 2010

2/17/2010 - The Barron Knights

We are on day 4 of the Winter Olympics and I haven't even mentioned them. I guess I haven't been able to get into them this year like I did back 2 years ago where I was glued to the TV for the China Olympics. Maybe I'm just not as into figure skating and luge as I am beach volleyball and kayaking.

To celebrate the Olympics, I'm pulling out an oldie. The Barron Knights formed as a group in 1959 under the name "The Knights of the Round Table" but changed their name in October of 1960 because "The Knights of the Round Table" was too long to put on promotional posters. They were serious singers through 1964, even opening for the Beatles on their 1963 tour and the Rolling Stones on their 1964 tour (the only band to open for both.) In 1964, their records were a flop, even with their touring success, and so they decided to turn to comedy. Ian Dury made the comment, "No group has made it until the Barron Knights have spoofed them." Sounds a lot like Nirvana's feelings about Weird Al.

If you happen to be in the area of Worcester or Henley in the UK, they are playing next weekend. They've been playing now for 50 years and seem to be still going strong (although only one member is still one of the originals.)

So, to honor the Olympic games this year, here are the Barron Knights with "An Olympic Record 68". Sure, it's based off of the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico, but it's still relevant:



Find the Barron Knights on their website

Followers

Search This Blog

  ©Template by Dicas Blogger.